This is a card done by Brown`s the photographers of New Lanark in the early 1900`s. By then the final additions had been made to the mills. These were made by the Gourock Rope Work Company who took over the Mills in the 1880`s. The most notable addition was a steam engine situated beyond the Institute. In this photograph the chimney relating to the steam engine can be clearly seen. Up to that time water power had been used to power the mills.
As well as steam power gas was also used in the village. The gas was produced from a building right at the south east end of the Mill buildings.
Finally this card shows how much importance the millworkers attached to growing their own food from their allotments.