Gallery of Pictures

   

This is a view of the Lady Home Hospital in Douglas which was taken in 1928. After this time a number of alterations were made to it. Thought it was appropriate to show it. Clydesdale`s Heritage has ......more

   

This is the famous gardeners gate at Douglas Castle. This photo of it was taken in 1928. Is this gate still in existence and where is it?

   

This is a view of Douglas Bowling Green in 1928. Anybody know anything about the club then. The last time I visited the club was for a cup of tea and sandwich after one of the Conventicles of the Cameronians.

   

The Tolbooth/Sun Inn This is one of the more interesting buildings in the vicinity off the church. It is a fine example of a crow stepped building. This term refers to both ends of the roof. This idea ......more

   

This is a picture of a street scene in Douglas c.1890. It comes from Hutchison and MacFeat`s book on Douglas. In the background some of the houses are still thatched.

   

This is the memorial to James Earl of Angus who began the raising of the Cameronian regiment in Douglas on May 14th 1689. The organising of the Cameronians was however done by William Cleland, who had ......more

   

This is an unusual view of Tinto from Lamington. It shows how Tinto dominates the whole area. It is on this side of Tinto that Fatlips Castle is to be found. Remains of this castle are to be found above ......more

   

This is a Carte de Visite produced by Archibald Rogers in his studio in the High Street, Lanark. The date of this would be about 1880-1890. It is an unusual picture of small children who are not often the subject of a Carte de Visite.

   

This is an interesting view of Lanark Station when we still had links to Edinburgh and Muirkirk! The picture posters are nice, these are well sorted after by collectors. The date of the photo is late 50`s early 60`s.

   

This looks like a Valentine card but it is actually published by C&E Prentice of the Post Office in Symington. The date of this card is about 1940. Not much has changed on the Lanark-Biggar Road.

   

This is a picture of Douglas Public School Circa 1947. Photo supplied courtesy of Robert Tweedie. It was also stated that 9 years after the picture was taken, the pits closed and a lot of the people in this picture moved away.

   

This is a picture of Douglas Public School Circa 1947. Photo supplied courtesy of Robert Tweedie. It was also stated that 9 years after the picture was taken, the pits closed and a lot of the people in this picture moved away.

   

This is a view inside the school at New Lanark. Education was an important aspect of life at New Lanark. It was Robert Owen who had a school built at New Lanark. Robert Owen also built the New Institution ......more

   

This is a picture taken inside New Lanark Mills c.1960 showing the Mill machinery. The belt drive is a hang over from the Victorian period. Prior to being electrically driven, some of the power being provided ......more

   

This is a view of work being undertaken in the late 1970`s of Long Row, New Lanark. The restoration of New Lanark started after the New Lanark Conservation Trust appointed a manager in 1974. This person ......more

   

A view of New Lanark Post Office c.1890. Transport was by horse and carriage up to early part of the 20th century. New Lanark had a post office till about 2012, but it was closed by the post office. It ......more


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98