A Mason`s mark. The chancel of St Mary`s has a number of masons marks on the stones. Each mason after serving his apprentice of seven years, got a mark, which was a way in which his work could be checked. A ......more
So that looks like auld Jenny Bogles house was there and the cottage that Norman Ritchie was in but not the Knoll.
This is an illustration from W. S. Crockett`s Book on the History of Biggar. It shows a picture of a fragment of a pre Norman Cross perhaps 10th/11th century found at Kirklawhill Farm near Biggar. It lies ......more
This is a postcard showing the original market cross which stood on a mound near the Corn Exchange in Biggar. The cross was sketched by John Pairman, a famous artist whose grave is in Biggar Churchyard. ......more
This is a picture of the Gladstone Cottage of Mid Toftcombs. It was here in 1759 that John Gladstone, Burgess of Biggar died in 1759. He was the grandfather of William Ewart Gladstone, the famous Liberal ......more
This is a view of Biggar taken from the air possibly in the 1940`s . This was published by Pillans Bryden who ran two stationers , one at the West End and the other in the main street in Biggar. The areas ......more
This is a view of Lesmahagow done by Archibald Brown , photographer from Lanark. This card was sent from Lesmahagow in 1904. At that time there was no public park. The house in the picture are quite ......more
Valley of the Clyde This card is interesting as it records the fact that the writer of the card was on his way up to see the launch of the Queen Mary in 1934. This was a significant signal to the British ......more
This is a fine view of Birkwood Castle in Lesmahagow published for J. Young. At one time this Castle had some fine Swiss 16th century glass in it, which had been collected by the McKirdy family. Possibly ......more
St Kentigerns, Lanark. This is a view of St Kentigerns, Lanark which was founded in the late 12th century by the Monks of Dryburgh Abbey. A seal of the Abbey of St Mary`s Dryburgh was found about thirty ......more
This is a rather unusual card that I have never seen before. It shows the duck pond up Lamington Glen, which runs up from the site of Lamington House.
This is a view of the West Port which was posted on July 18th 1933. The writer of the card sent separately four stockings to Miss Ruby Aitken of Knowhead, Carluke. The card was produced in the Inter War ......more
This card was produced for John Renton, who was probably the postmaster. The card is pre 1st World War. It shows Crawfordjohn as a community that had changed little from the early 19th century. It was ......more
This is a pre 1st World War card showing the church at Coulter which was produced for James Jackson, Stationer in Biggar. The present church was built in 1810 on the site of a Medieval Church. It was later ......more
This is a view of Carstairs Junction Station on April 27th 1913. It is an unusual card in that it shows the demolition of part of the Victorian station. This was a roofed section similar in design to York ......more