Gallery of Pictures

   

This is a great view of a train operating as a snow plough at Ponfeigh (January 1913). It will remind the older members of the community of similar winters in 1947 and the 1960`s.

   

This is a picture of the flood at Carstairs Junction on August 8th 1915. This was a cloud burst and it did a fair amount of damage. In some places the depth of the flood water was 8ft. Cloud bursts ......more

   

Leisure at Lanark Loch is the title of this slide. Lanark Lake as it was known pre World War I was a great attraction both in summer and winter. This las year people have rediscovered Lanark Loch in a major way.

   

This slide shows the Abington/Crawford Curling match of c.1905. Such a sight today is a real rarity. The other picture is of Douglas Bowling Club. Some of the buildings are still there.

   

This is a fine example of a Bonnet Piece of James V (1528-1542). This coin is alleged to have been made of Leadhills gold. Apparently James was entertaining the French Ambassador at Crawford Castle. ......more

   

Leadhills really took off in the 17th century as the centre of Scotland`s Lead Mining capital. The Fowlis family and then the Hope family (later Earls of Hopetoun) were responsible for developing Lead ......more

   

This is a picture of the excavation of Swaites Henge which took place almost thirty years ago. Swaites Henge is the end of the ridge that terminates in Cairngryffe Hill. Swaites Henge was originally ......more

   

This is a picture of Harvie`s garage in Abington which was taken in the 1970`s. At that time it was a thriving business. It also had a base in St Leonard`s street in Lanark. We would like to hear more about this business.

   

These are pictures taken at the back of Janice Plenderlieth`s flower shop which is next to the Tolbooth and has the date 1688 on a door lintel. An internal investigation a number of years ago confirmed ......more

   

These are pictures taken at the back of Janice Plenderlieth`s flower shop which is next to the Tolbooth and has the date 1688 on a door lintel. An internal investigation a number of years ago confirmed ......more

   

This looks like a Lanimer picture of the early fifties showing the Queen / the Scots and the outriders including the herald. Somebody will know all the details including who the people are in this picture.

   

This is a view of Snar and the farm which i remember as being connected with the Dixon family. Mrs Nixon was connected with the Crawfordjohn Museum and its library. In the foreground is the remains of ......more

   

This is a 17th century bell made in Holland for the old Crawford Parish church . This church once stood in the piece of ground opposite the old Posthorn Hotel was moved when the railway was built. The ......more

   

This is a picture taken of the Delves park in Lanark back in the 1970`s when the area was not affected by housing developments. One can easily imagine William Wallace escaping with Marion Braidfute from ......more

   

This is a picture of the New Lanark Pipe Band. Would anybody like to comment on the date that this photograph was taken and give us some information about the people .

   

This a typical 14th century bronze ewer/ jug which was illustrated in the book ` Biggar and the House of Fleming` by W.Hunter 1867.It was found near Southside Farm Coulter. Not far away from where it ......more


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98