Carstairs Junction had at one time one of the largest railway workshops in Scotland. Repairs, scrapping trains and general maintenance took place at Carstairs. By 1974 when the line was electrified, the ......more
This is another view of the great Carstairs flood. The serious nature of the downpour is shown with the drowned van but this area was not the worst affected. Some park of the Junction was flooded to the depth of 12 feet.
This looks like an early version of the Boy`s Brigade. This was produced by J. Jackson of Carnwath and posted to Miss J. Hutson from Carstairs Junction. She normally stayed at Carstairs but on July 21st ......more
This view of Strawfrank Terrace, Carstairs Junction was taken in May 1928. The houses on the left are typical of the late Victorian houses provided for the Railway workers.
This is a view of Allison Street, Carstairs Junction. It is an example of the early council housing which was built in Carstairs Junction. The facilities in the council houses were much better than those enjoyed by the Caledonian Railway Employees.
This is another picture of the council houses in Carstairs Junction. It is called King Street, possibly after Sir James, the King who lived at Carstairs House.
This is an interesting view showing a large group of children posing for the camera outside the Carstairs Junction Co-op. This card was made about 1920, a couple of years before the death of Andrew Hutton. ......more
This is a nice view of Strawfrank Road, Carstairs Junction which runs parallel to the railway line. The card is sent to Jessie Hutson on May 12th 1905, when she was away at Penpont in Dumfriesshire. Her ......more
This is Carstairs Junction Primary School. The photograph was taken on 2nd March, 1906 for J. Jackson, Stationer in Carnwath. The teacher is at the back on the right.
This is a view of Castledykes from the air. I took this photo in the late 1970`s. This photo gives a good view of the eight acre fort. This playing card shaped fort was the most important fort of the many ......more
This is a picture of Andy Wilson holding up a piece of Amphora which was found during field walking in the Southern Annex of the Roman Fort of Castledykes. The annex was used as a place for the traders and camp followers to rest up.
This is the Springer for a vault from the Bishop`s church of St Mary`s Carstairs. It dates to c.1450 and shows how sophisticated Carstairs Church really was.
This is an old view of Townhead at the Eastend of Carnwath. The old thatched cottages can be seen as well as the flag pole for the park and the corner of what was the Lockhart Arms.
This card was posted on 26th July 1916. It was published by James Jackson of Carnwath. This is a view of the bottom of the Main Street showing people standing in front of Clarks the Drapers.